A couple of weeks ago someone noticed a Groupon for the Sparkle Me 5K in Hampton and I'm not quiet sure how it all happened but whether it was peer pressure or just craziness there was several of us that signed up to run this crazy race. Now you all know how much I LOVE all thinks pink and glittery, right? Ya, right. Well, I do love running so I guess I got sucked into the excitement of doing a race with my friends. I am so glad I did this race. I told Jeff that with friends is the only way to race. It makes it so much more enjoyable (although not trying to beat my previous best also probable helped.)
I really debated about having Nate run the race with me but when I saw that it was $40 to register a kid I opted not to register him. However they did say on the website that kids could run with you so I figured we could run it together and then I would give him my bling. (As it turned out they gave him his own and I gave mine to Coley). Up to this point the longest race Nate had run was only a 1 mile fun run so it made me nervous that he would have a hard time running the full 3.1 miles. I shouldn't have been worried (In my head I could see myself trying to run giving him a piggy back ride for the last 1.5 miles or something like that since I wasn't taking the jogging stroller.) Nate did GREAT!!! I think he was the second person in our group to finish the race and he finished in 32 minutes and 07 seconds!!! (unofficial since they didn't actually time the race). He probable could have finished sooner but I kept trying to slow him down so he wouldn't gas himself at the beginning. I could definitely see Jeff in his running strategy. His strategy consisted of run till you see someone in front of you, then you HAVE to pass them, then keep running till you see the next person to pass, etc. I kept asking him if he needed to walk and he told me during the first mile that he wasn't going to walk, he was going to run the WHOLE thing. And he did run the WHOLE thing. We stopped once to get water (and take pictures of our friends) but otherwise despite telling me his toes were hurting he ran the entire race. I was so proud of him and how well he did. Of course he did ask me later in the day when his next 5K was going to be. I love my little runner (and I love that he talks to me the whole time he is running!)
 |
| Our whole group before the color started flying. |
 |
| Nate was freaked out and cried when people started throwing the "paint" but then Mr. Mark gave him some orange to throw and then Nate was all in. |
 |
| "Just watch me, you don't think I will throw it? I will show you!" |
|
|
  |
| Nate and Miss Lauren having a "paint"face off. |
 |
| And there was paint every where...including in Nate's eye. |
 |
| Not sure who he was getting ready to hit with some paint but he sure did enjoy this part of the pre-race time. |
 |
| And we are off. |
 |
| I think this picture is so cool! |
 |
| My little running buddy. |
 |
| Our one stop, to get some water. |
 |
| I love his hat. :) |
 |
| Some of our favorite friends coming around the first bend. |
 |
| And we are off again. |
  |
| Mr. Matt got this picture of Nate and I coming into the home stretch. Nate was excited to see the kid blowing bubbles at us. |
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| Miss Lauren caught up to us and finished the race with Nate. |
 |
| And the after color and run picture. |
 |
| Here are some the kids "chillin'" after the race. |
 |
| At a couple of different points during the race they would spray you down with more color or sparkles. Nate wasn't sure about it the first time but since they didn't get it in his face, he started to look for the next "paint" station. |
 |
After the race we found Mr. Matt (and his parents) to watch for the other runners in our group.
 |
| And Nate's two best friends who also ran the race. |
|
 |
| And this is what happens with your little boy runs a 5K. He turns off his Boz video during rest time and falls asleep on the couch (unheard of for this kids...maybe we should run a 5K everyday!) |
What a great way to start off the 4th of July!! Thanks friends for convincing me that pink and glitter wouldn't kill me!
No comments:
Post a Comment