Can you imagine working in the World Trade Center? Can you imagine being at work in the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001? Now can you imagine being at work in the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001 and being blind? I can't imagine what it must have been like but after reading Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson I now have a better idea of what it must have been like. What it was like to be in Tower 1 on the 78th floor of the World Trade Center when a plane crashed into the building. This book is an amazing documentation of one blind man's experience on that fateful day almost 10 years ago. But not only does this book document the events that happened on September 11th, it also tells Micheal's life story and really educates you on the life/experience of being blind since birth.
This is the first book I have read concerning the events that happened on September 11th, and it was an stunning account of all that transpired from a personal perspective. I found myself holding my breath as Michael described descending all 78 floors of the World Trade Center with his guide dog Roselle. And even though I knew he would get out I almost felt as if I was anxiously walking down with him. The whole story held me transfixed and gave me a new appreciation for what people experienced.
Reading this book not only gave me a different perspective of the events surrounding Sept 11th, but it also gave me an education on being blind. I found this aspect of the book to be an important experience. I have never had many interactions with anyone who is blind, but this book went into great detail as to how a blind person faces struggles with the desire to be treated and respected just like anyone else. Michael states, "The real handicap comes from the prejudices people have about blindness." (pg 84) I never thought of my attitude/response to the blind as prejudice however after reading this book I can see how it would be. I think this is a must read for anyone who is interested in learning more about the experiences of September 11th or about the emotions of living as a blind man.
This book was provided free for review through the Book Sneeze Program.
No comments:
Post a Comment