Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trip to Fairfax

So about a year ago a friend invited me over to lunch and a play date. For lunch this friend made one of the best baked mac n' cheese I had ever had so I had to ask for the recipe...and that is the beginning of the end.

You see the recipe was from the Pioneer Woman. "Who is that?" you ask. She is a cattle rancher's wife, mother of four, homeschooling mother, photographer, writer, and most importantly a chef. Now I must admit that I am not quite the "blog stalker" that some of my friends are, but I do occasionally read her blog. Where she has me hooked, is in her recipes. I hate nothing more than trying a recipe and it being a total flop...not a problem with the Pioneer Woman's recipes. You may die from clogged arteries due to butter, but you will be assured of not having a flopped dish...that is unless you can't read...I swear cayenne and cloves are very easy to mix up when your spices are alphabetized and you are in a hurry!

Last fall the Pioneer Woman (PW) published her first book...and it was a cookbook. :) I wasn't too wild about buying the book because it was kind of expensive and I can just print her recipes from the blog, but when my brother-in-law sent me a gift card to Borders for Christmas, I knew what I wanted. I have tried a bunch of the recipes in the book and all have been fabulous (again, if you can read the spice labels!) and I am a big fan of her cinnamon rolls. Nate also loves her cookbook...and it now permanently opens to the open-faced apple pie recipe because he helped me make it (which involved sitting in the middle of the cookbook therefore breaking the spine.)

Where am I going with this? (I was beginning to wonder myself) Well, last Tuesday three of my very good friends and I drove up to Fairfax, VA to see the Pioneer Woman. I was also meeting two of my friends from the Eastern Shore (the one who introduced me to PW) and another friend from the DC area. But alas, on Monday I found out my Eastern Shore friends weren't going to make it. :( Not only was I not going to be able to spend countless hours hangin' with them during the book signing, but I wasn't going to get my promise spin in a new Mini (my dream car.) Anyway, to make a long story even longer, the five of us that were there did have a great time...one I wouldn't trade for anything. Yes, we did drive three hours to get there, and we get there at four to reserve seat for her six o'clock talk...which lasted about 15 min. And we did wait in line from 6:30 till about 9:15 just to have her sign our cookbooks and ask where we were from. And then we did eat dinner and start our three hour drive back home around 10 o'clock. BUT...we did get to "meet" the Pioneer Woman and best of all we got to hang out and spend some quality time with each other. I have to say that I definitely know Ginny, Jen, Kathryn, and Anastasia much better after our hours together.

Thank you girls for inviting me to go along and for making the trip so much fun!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I'm glad you went! Though it was crazy, I had a fun time. :)

The Barnes said...

It all sounds yummy and fun!