Sunday, September 2, 2012

1/2 Marathon

I know I haven't finished updating our trip to the Dominican but here are some pictures from today (this is for you, Craig!)  Today I ran my first ever 1/2 Marathon.  I have trained for 13 weeks (was only supposed to be 12 weeks but somehow I was off by a week) and run about 215 miles in 4 states one District and two countries.  I don't know why I chose to run my first 1/2 at the end of the summer because running in the middle of the summer and with our traveling was a little brutal.  My hubby was awesome during all of my training and was willing to watch the kiddos each Saturday morning as I went on a long run.  Thanks, babe!  (Of course somehow he got the kids to sleep till 8 on the mornings I ran.  If I would have been home they would have been up at 6-6:30ish!)

The race today was great!  I read a couple of books and lots online about training and they all said that for your first 1/2 that your goal should just be to finish.  Of course I had to set other goals. :) I wanted to finish in under 2 hours and my training was going well enough that I thought if I was feeling well that I might be able to finish in 1:45.  Well, today wasn't too hot but it was incredible muggy!  I think the humidity was around 85% and at the beginning of the race they kept warning us about drinking enough water.  I ended up drinking more than usual for my long runs and had to the use the rest room during the run but my final time was 1:59:14.  I barely made my 2 hour goal but I did make it!  If only I didn't have to stop at the rest room...  I did get a blister on my foot.  I don't know how I have trained for 13 weeks with no blister but yet I get one during the race, go figure.

Jeff and the kids came down to watch and cheer me on.  It was so much fun to see them during different parts of the race.  Both kids had fun watching all the runners and the third time I saw them Nate finally gave me a high five.  I was a little worried about them all getting bored but I guess waking kids up at 5:15 to get to the race had them tired enough that they wanted to stay put and just watch everyone.  Jeff said he offered to take them to the beach but Nate wanted to watch the runner instead.  I really think Jeff was getting into the competitive part of the race.  He told me all about the first finishers and the pace setters (which I never did see a pace setter).  I think Jeff enjoyed it and I just hope he enjoyed it enough to cheer me on at my next 1/2 in November. :)

Jeff brought the camera but every time I saw him he didn't have it out. :)  This was the only picture he took and it was at the end (when I could barely walk).

It's rough getting up at 5:15 and cheering on 10,000+ runner/walkers!  She totally conked out after they saw me the last time.

My two other cheers.  Thanks Jeff and Nate for cheering me on!

1 comment: