One of the big reason that we decided to join the Y was so that the kids could have swim lessons. Both of our kids are afraid of water (read: it has only been in the last 6 months that we have gotten Nate to wash his hair w/o a melt down) and since we live in an area completely surrounds by water, they need to know how to swim. Well, we missed the January/February classes but I did get the kids signed up for the next two months. Nate's class is called Gym and Swim where they spend the first 30 min learning a new skill in the racquetball courts and the second 30 min is spent in the pool. I wasn't sure how he would do in the pool so we spent a lot of time talking about it in the weeks leading up to his class. It helps that one of the little boys in his class also goes to MMO (Mom's morning out) with Nate so he had a familiar face in the class. This week started the class and of course I had to take the camera to document it. :)
We were the first people back by the courts so Nate enjoyed a little time running around and shouting "Echo" in a room that really really echoed!
 |
| Running around |
Once the other kids got there, they all started running around.
I went to my spin class but left early just so I could see how Nate was doing. The instructor was great and I think really helped Nate feel a little bit better about being in the pool. When I got there Nate was with the instructor and he was listening to what he was saying but his little body was shaking! It broke my heart to see him so scared but I know it's the best for him. Over the next several minutes Nate got a little more comfortable but you could tell he was still hesitant. I talked to the instructor afterwards and he mention that Nate didn't seem to have a problem getting into the pool and he thought having the other kids there really helped Nate have some more confidence. He also mentioned that even though Nate was scared, Nate did do everything the instructor asked him to do. I am really looking forward to seeing how much Nate improves over the next 8 weeks!
 |
| Nate had a death grip on the teacher. |
 |
| The instructor had the kids trying to splash Nate by kicking. He of course wanted Nate to splash back and it was hilarious to watch Nate flicking water at the kids kicking with all their might. :) |
 |
| Nate wasn't comfortable hanging onto the side of the pool while the instructor was working with the other kids so the instructor let him sit on the edge...which turned into laying on the edge. |
I also have Coley in a Parent child class which met for the first time this week. She also was very hesitant at the beginning and had a death grip on me, however, as soon as she saw the balls and figure out she could throw them and then "kick" to get it again, she was all for it. In her class we do one skill a week (this week was getting in and out of the pool) and then we do some songs and free play. Coley LOVED the songs and the actions with the songs and even enjoyed getting in and out of the pool. She kept asking to "splash" (be lifted up into the air then back into the pool.) After the first couple of minuets she really warmed up and spent most of the time giggling! I thought it was funny when the instructor tried to teach her how to blow bubbles in the water. She got her face right down to the water and then blew the surface, no way was she sticking her mouth in it. Maybe next week. This next week is spring break so I am going to have Jeff take her to class (since it will be the only time he can) and I hope to get some pictures of her swimming. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment