Saturday, May 23, 2009

The hunt begins!

This week has been a little crazy! On Thursday we got up bright an' early and headed down the Eastern Shore of MD and over to Norfolk/Newport News VA. We were schedule to meet a realtor and begin a hunt for our "perfect" first house. Nate did great on the way down (he is a great car sleeper) and we only stopped once on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (or BB Chunnel as Jeff and I are calling it) is AWESOME!! It connects the lower Eastern Shore of VA (yes VA does have land on the eastern shore although not much) to Norfolk. The bridge/tunnel covers 17 miles and contains 4 bridge segments and two tunnels. I though it was weird that your ears start to pop while you are in the tunnels...but then again you have tons of water above you. Also for a girl from CO it was weird to be in a tunnel that was completely surrounded by water and not mountain. Oh and just in case you get hungry they have a restaurant, restrooms, fishing pier, and gift shop in the middle of the BB chunnel. We of course had to stop and feed Nate. :) My favorite part of the BB Chunnel was the whole school of dolphins I saw swimming next to the bridge. It was amazing and exciting...unfortunately Jeff had to keep his eyes on the road and wasn't able to see them. :(

After we got across the BB chunnel it was a quick trip around Norfolk and then across another bridge to the Newport News peninsula. Jeff noticed what looked like another airport out close to the water and it wasn't until we got a really good look that we realized it was an aircraft carrier. It was AWESOME!! And I guess it is an airport of sorts. We met the realtor at the college so I got some pictures of the entrance and then after seeing a couple of houses we took a walk around campus. The campus is beautiful and I couldn't believe how big the plants grow down here (unfortunately I have heard the bugs grow much bigger as well.) :( Overall we had a great trip, may have found a house, and got to spend the evening/night hangin' in Richmond with Craig (I forgot to take pictures.) It is nice to be only about 4.5 hours from our future home so we do have the option of going down to "look around". And I am also glad that we passed at least ~4 different malls all much closer to Christopher Newport than the 2 malls nearest Chestertown.

Side Note: When the realtor came to find us in our parking lot I though he said he was driving a black Honda, then a huge black H2 Hummer drove in and I told Jeff it would be so much easier if the realtor was in a Hummer...well he was! So Jeff, Nate, and I got our first ride in a Hummer as well. Those things are huge!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Barnes said...

Sounds like an awesome few days. Can not wait to hear about your house hunting- I am glad to hear it was somewhat successful!
I love Nate's hate- too cute.

P said...

I'm dying to live on the East Coast. Maybe I'll hate it - but I want to see!!