Thursday, May 28, 2009
"Small Family Project"
Back about a month or so ago Jeff and I were talking to a couple at our church about what they did and Lee mentioned that he worked on a farm but that they had a "small family project" of raising chickens. Now I have a friend in Denver who raises chickens for the eggs and she has, I think, 3 or 4 chickens. This has always intrigued me so I started asking him more questions about the chickens, and he was telling me about raising them and from talking to him I was thinking they probably had about 10-15 chickens. Finally I asked him how many they were raising as their "small family project". Well, his daughter snickered and then said, "90,000." I am really glad I didn't have anything in my mouth at the time and I would give a ton of $ to see both of our faces after Jess informed us that their "small family project" of raising chickens was raising 90,000 chickens!!! Now I was really curious. Well on Sunday Lee and Mary invited us over for dinner and a tour of the chicken barns (they have 3 barns). It was fascinating. I learned so much and I asked too many questions, according to Jeff (Jeff: because dinner got cold). Lee was telling me that they used to have a contract with Perdue chicken, yes THE Perdue chicken, but recently they have switched companies. The chicks are brought in and then they feed them and take care of them for 6 weeks. The chickens in these pictures are about 4 weeks old, but Lee said they will have to have us out again when the baby chicks come in. Can you imagine a whole barn full of furry little yellow chicks. I can't wait. Needless to say I am so glad we were able to go see the barn and learn about raising chickens. Thanks Lee and Mary! (And thanks for dinner as well, it was delicious. Mary is an excellent cook and so much of the food was straight from their garden...I can't wait to someday have a garden.) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
90,000 chickens!!! That is one HUGE family project. sounds like an interesting afternoon.
Post a Comment