Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A fly on the wall

Do you ever wonder what your children are like when you aren't there? Today I did, but let me back up and tell the story.

A couple of months ago (Oct/Nov time frame) I was in the cry room at church with Nate and there was another little girl in there with us. Of course us moms got to talkin' about what our kids were doing and what they would be doing soon. During the course of the service I realized that the little girl was clapping her hands and it wasn't until then that I thought about Nate clapping. We had done patty-cake and other clapping songs but I had never really thought about teaching Nate how to clap. Well now I was on a mission to teach my little boy how to clap...however Nate didn't seem to really care. He would get his hands together the first time but then he would clasp them like he was praying. So for the last several months we have worked on clapping, Jeff and I have clapped for Nate, we do clapping games, etc but to no avail. Now fast forward to last night. Nate and I were playing on the kitchen floor and I thought maybe we would have another clapping lesson. I slide Nate across the floor to me and said, "Let's clap" and low and behold he starts clapping like he's been doing it all his life. I couldn't believe it! Of course I had to get Jeff and we all clapped together. This morning I decided to test this clapping phenomena and as soon as I said "Let's clap" Nate started clapping with a huge grin on his face.

Again fast forward to later this morning. I am attending a Bible study on Tuesday mornings at Bethel which means Nate gets to spend quality time with some great ladies and some other older kids. Well, this morning when I went to go pick Nate up I was telling them the clapping story when I got the shock. Linda informed me that I needed to put on some music for this kid because evidently he was walking around clapping AND dancing to to the music. They said it was so cute to see him clappin' and shaking his little bum! I knew Jeff had been showing Nate some dance movies but we had yet to see full out dancing from our little boy, all we saw was a little head bob here and there. So what do I do...as soon as Nate was up from his nap and fully fed we put on some music and guess what...Nate sat and read books!! I guess maybe he got all of his dancing out this morning but don't worry now that I know he got some mad dancing skills we will be listening to more music during the day. :) Oh if only I could have been a fly on the nursery wall.

P.S. I also found out from the ladies that in 2.5 hours he never once pouted, however as soon as I got there we saw the pout...they all thought it was adorable...however he wasn't pouting at them. :)

2 comments:

The Barnes said...

I love the pouting face, too funny. He probably claps and dances in his crib when you are not around:)

Anitra said...

Ty and him would totally get along!!! He LOVES to dance and has 2 signature moves....Daddy calls them "the booty shake" and the "Elvis leg". We miss you.