I loved the idea of getting locally grown produce but what I didn't want was three week of nothing but kale or something like that which can happen if you are just working with one farmer. The farmer would just be providing you with what they had during that particular time. By looking at a 3rd party CSA, she coordinates everything with several different farmers who deliver the produce to her then she splits it into her shares and then delivers it to us. She also has a lot of different options and she also included more fruit in her shares than some of the other farmers could/do. This lady also has a deliver at CNU which is great for us since we only live 3 miles from campus. Zina, our CSA coordinator, is very great and extremely willing to help you out with any questions and she even sends us recipes based on the produce we get each week.
So to make a long story even longer, I drove up and some of my friends and we asked a whole bunch of questions. In the end Kathryn and I decided that we wanted to split one "whole" share which was cheaper than each of us getting a half share. So ultimately Kathryn and I will be getting fresh produce for the next 20 weeks! :) I can't wait to try different veggies and figure out how to cook with some of them...see wk 1 post.
Anyway, all that to say that Nate enjoyed going to the "farm". They had baby chicks (which he loved to look at), a calf, turkeys, horses, bunnies, and lots and lots of dirt. Yes, Nate is all boy and spent most of the time kicking the dirt.
Nate kicking the dirt instead of looking at the baby chicks.

Lisa and Carmen checking out the bunnies (our CSA coordinator Zina in the background.)

Nate checking out the chickens

The day we went it was really really hot but Zina gave the kids some Popsicles...thankfully Nate gave me some :)

Looking at the calf

Headed out to check out the turkey's and find eggs in the hen house
For some reason Nate really likes turkeys so he was actually looking at them instead of kicking the dirt around.

The only picture I have the eggs. Carmen and Reagan were much more adventurous than Nate and Lisa and they both went in and found some eggs.

Lisa and Carmen checking out the bunnies (our CSA coordinator Zina in the background.)
Nate checking out the chickens
The day we went it was really really hot but Zina gave the kids some Popsicles...thankfully Nate gave me some :)
Looking at the calf
Headed out to check out the turkey's and find eggs in the hen house
For some reason Nate really likes turkeys so he was actually looking at them instead of kicking the dirt around.
The only picture I have the eggs. Carmen and Reagan were much more adventurous than Nate and Lisa and they both went in and found some eggs.
I forgot to mention the traumatic part of the trip. Lisa had a tick on her (my first time actually ever seeing a tick...in really life) then Kathryn had one on her. I was so freaked out and I am sure Zina was making fun of me after we left. I had to check both kids as soon as we got home and then I immediately took a shower! I dislike ticks!
No comments:
Post a Comment