Saturday, June 30, 2012

Meeting/Riding a real horse!

This spring we watched a lot of horse racing...well not a lot but we watch the three big races and Nate loved watching the live race plus all of the subsequent coverage.  He would pick a horse at the beginning and then cheer for the color during each of the races.  I don't think he ever figured out that they were just replaying the live race (15 more times!) but he cheered just as loud during each run.  Well one day in the car he mentioned to me that he wanted to ride a horse.  I told him that when we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house he could ride Grandpa's horse.  He then told me that he would have to hold on to those strings (reigns) very tight 'cause he was going to ride the horse fast.  I started to tell him about how you use your legs as well to stay on the horse.  He got quiet then asked me if he would be sitting on the horse.  At this point we were both confused until he said, "I usually see their bums as they ride the horse."  It was then that I realized he has only really seen a horse (on TV) in a race...he was thinking he would ride like a jockey!  Well, I explained to him what he would be doing but it would be a month or so before we got to ride Grandpa's horse.  The reality of seeing a horse changed Nate's mind...

On my b'day I needed to run 7 miles for my training so I figured out a way to run the High Line Canal and end at the stable where Misea, Grandpa's horse, is stabled.  Well, I guess there was some miss communication 'cause I ran into Grandpa and Misea but not my kids or Grandma.  They were waiting in the shade a little down the way so I hopped on the horse for a little ride. 
Me riding behind Grandpa to meet the kids.


Coley loves animals and Misea was no exception...at a distance that is.

There was NO WAY Nate was getting on that horse...a big change from wanting to ride fast.  He did like to pet her though.

All of us with Misea

Coley is too little to say No...she was screaming but on the horse. :)

So the kids aren't looking but Misea is!

Nate wanted to see where the horses lived so we headed back to the stable.  I though he might come up on the horse with me so up I went (1st time I have been on a horse in a really really long time!)

Coley was "daring" enough to get on again with Mom, but Nate still refused.
Maybe next time Nate will decided to take a ride with Grandpa.  Only time will tell.

No comments: