Monday, March 25, 2013

First year doing Easter Eggs

Since both of the kids are older this year I am looking forward to really teaching them the true meaning of Easter.  We have been talking about it a lot and I think we are going to try make resurrection cookies this year (and try to read all the Bible passages).  I have never made the cookies so we will see how it turns out.  I want Nate to hear all of the Scriptures and taste the ingredients to hopefully help him understand what Easter is about.  Lately he has been asking a lot of questions about God, Jesus, Heaven, etc (Some of his questions have been very challenging to explain.  How do you explain the trinity to a 4 year old? I tried.)   I know a lot of people get caught up in the commercialism of the holiday but this year more than past years the gift of salvation is more real in my life.  I never want to forget the sacrifice of my Savior and the pain he went through to make sure I can enter heaven and see my Lord face to face.  

And yet here I am posting pictures of us embracing some of the commercialism. :(  We have never dyed eggs with the kids and since I volunteered to bring deviled eggs to our Easter Sunday lunch, I figured we might as well see how the kids did dying the eggs first.  Nate had a ton of fun and Coley did too...she just managed to break every egg she touched.  She doesn't quiet get the concept of "gentle" yet.  I do think, however, that the person that had the most fun was Jeff.  He really got behind the whole dying egg thing. :)

Nate using the wax crayon before putting it in the dye.

Daddy and Coley working on their eggs.

Daddy made an Otto egg, which sadly enough both of my kids figure out almost immediately.  If only I could have drawn a leprechaun...

Jeff's "Ester" egg.  You would have to be a chemist to get the joke. :)

All of Coley's eggs were pink (big surprise there) and she loved putting stickers on her eggs

Nate showing off his red egg with his rocket sticker.


No comments: