Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What's in a name?

While I was pregnant and Jeff and I were looking at different baby names the biggest thing for me was the meaning of the name. Some names I liked, but didn't like the meaning (i.e. Jeff loves Amos, but it means "burdened"). Part of my obsession with the meaning of the name comes from participating in a couple of Beth Moore Bible studies. During the course of the study she would look at a particular individual and look specifically at the name of person and how that person fulfilled the meaning (i.e. Jacob which means supplanter). I know that Beth wasn't trying to make it a focus of her studies, but in three of the four studies I have done, I was impacted by how the Israelite's named their children and how those children lived up (or down) to their name. I am sure by now you are all wondering why I am telling you this. Well last week while my parents were here we got Nate's "birth" photo's done and there was one picture in particular that I really wanted because of Nate's name. Nathaniel means Gift from (of) God. One of my friends from college, Adrienne, had her daughter's photo taken in nothing but her diaper with a bow on her back and a sign that read From: God. I thought this was too perfect given the meaning of Nathaniel! Well we had some success in the photo shoot last week and were able to get a good photo of Nate with the sign. (We got some other shots as well but the sleepy head wouldn't really wake up for any of them...amazing what taking off a kid's clothes with do!) So we are planning on sending out some birth announcements with this photo (my sister so graciously made us some announcements! Thanks Kara!) but if you want to see Nate's picture you can go to the below link and type in the below code.) My favorite picture is P22.

Smile by Wire
Customer Name: Tiffany Carney
Access Code: LTPP0649102641JCP

Nathaniel truly is a gift from God!! I can't believe how much he has taught me about my Heavenly Father in his four short weeks of life. And I am really looking forward to what Nate is going to continue to teach both of us about our Father. I keep saying that Nate is our Passover baby...God commanded the Israelites to celebrate the Passover each year to remember His deliverance of them from Egypt. Well every year on Nate's birthday we can remember God amazing provision for Jeff's thesis and subsequent trip home, successful deliver of "our gift", and providing a job!! We have a lot to be thankful for and I am glad we will have a remind every year of God's goodness and gifts to us.

Note: Raymond means counsel or protection. Raymond is actually a family name for both Jeff and I. Jeff's maternal grandfather and my paternal grandfather were both named Raymond and we both have an uncle named Raymond. I am still thankful for the meaning of the name.

4 comments:

Kuehn's said...

Great pictures! Isn't it amazing how they can sleep thru that? We had the same problem with Audrey. She wouldn't wake up! The hardest part for me is to pick which pictures to buy!

eyedoc2004 said...

Cute pictures! We had a similar thought process with naming Nolan. We went with Nolan Michael because its of latin origin meaning "baseball/basketball dual sport college scholarship player". We thought that had a nice ring to it.

The Barnes said...

The pictures are very cute!

thegroves said...

LOVE the photos!!! I'm all about name meanings too. Loved this post! ;) MISS YOU!!!